Lush UK has operated an Air Travel and Carbon Tax Scheme for over four years.
Lush UK Carbon Tax scheme
- When Lush UK people use air travel, we calculate the Carbon generated.
- We ‘tax’ ourselves at a rate of £50 per metric tonne.
- The money from our Carbon Tax is used to fund climate change and transport campaign groups.
The Lush Carbon measurement includes
- CO2 emissions
- The warming effect of aircraft engine exhaust gases on the Earth’s atmosphere.
- The damage to the atmosphere, caused by aerosol gases created by aircraft engines.
How do we calculate our Carbon used?
- 1 mile of air travel = 0.87 kilograms of Carbon.
- 1 kilometre of air travel = 0.54 kilograms of Carbon
Example of Carbon calculation
- Flight to Madrid - Flight distance is 1543 miles
- Carbon created is 1543 miles x 0.87 kg = 1,342 kg
- 1,342kg = 1.342 metric tonnes
- Carbon Tax is £50 per metric tonne
- 1.342 metric tonnes x £50 = £67.10
Carbon Tax from this flight payable to Charities would be £67.10
See more of Lush's policies and positions