Animal Testing: Our policy

Lush do not test on animals, do not use materials that contain animal derivatives that are unsuitable for vegetarians and only buy raw materials from companies that are not involved in the use of, or commission the use of, animals for testing and have no plans to do so in the future. We believe that animal testing is not acceptable. We recognise that customer safety is of importance but that this can be assured without the use of animals.

We will not knowingly purchase ingredients from suppliers that have conducted, commissioned or been party to animal testing after our fixed cut-off date 1st June 2007 unless the supplier commits to no further animal test in the future and using for Lush acceptable in-vitro (refers to the technique of performing a given procedure in a controlled environment outside of a living organism) alternatives.

Whilst we recognise the unavoidable exception of REACH legislation (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & Restriction of Chemicals), Lush wishes to continue to encourage suppliers to test for safety using non-animal testing methods and to fund the development of non-animal test methods.

We have built Lush from day one using this policy – and we believe this shows that it is possible to invent, manufacture and bring to the market an entire range of products without any involvement in animal testing. Our founders launched this policy in June 1993, whilst still running their previous company, Cosmetics To Go. So when they started Lush in 1995, it began life using this policy and has stuck to it ever since.

laura.r.walker81_6484168

As someone who has worked in the personal care product supply chain for enormous brands from Avon to LMVH I really appreciate the level of detail which Lush has gone into here. Many big brands don't even declare the ingredients that are tested on animals and it would certainly be difficult for a consumer to decide whether the "cruelty free" product they were buying was indeed free from animal cruelty anywhere in the supply chain. I ended up leaving the chemical industry because I did not feel as though I could support a stance I felt was unethical and Lush certainly meets my criteria for what a company can be reasonably doing to make sure their products are as ethical as possible within the legislation. Another thing I think is very positive is the fact that Lush staff are really well briefed on this stance. I asked some Body Shop staff to clarify for me what their position on animal testing was now that they were owned by L'Oreal and they had no idea what I was talking about. Well done Lush, I'm confident that you will continue to go further and be open and honest with your customers.

eleanorimogenbradshaw_6068021

about 1 year ago

Okay so you claim to be against animal testing yet you are part of REACH? Doesn't make sense.....

lauramirezortiz_6408708

^^^

Amandarin

about 1 year ago

Against animal testing is what I've come to love and trust in the Lush brand. Ever since being a Cosmetics to Go customer in the early 90s. Please would you also consider "cruelty free" ingredients. Primarily, the use of eggs in your ingredients. The egg industry is known for its savage cruelty of young male chicks, as many exposés have revealed. Also, the labelling of eggs "free range" by no means renders them "cruelty free". In light of a sharp rise in veganism in the general populace in recent times, I would like to urge Lush to reconsider using eggs.

about 2 years ago

Hi. First of all, I have been buying LUSH products for over 13 years, so I really do love your products!! I appreciate your efforts in only sourcing with manufacturers that do not carry out animal testing. My concerns are - a signed declaration is not enough, and though you say that you research the company, does LUSH conduct site visits / personal research on where the ingredients are being sourced? Further, what is LUSH's policy on sustainability and humanitarian / environmental impact? I recently emailed the LUSH customer service team asking about where the talc used in your products is sourced from, and how it affects the people living in those areas (to be specific, I was commenting on how some talc sourced in India adversely affects tiger populations). The team gave me some answers and I thanked them, though I believe the answer could have been more comprehensive by giving ways in which LUSH limits its impact on the world. Lastly, and as I'm sure you've seen on your Facebook page, I am shocked that you would advertise Kylie Jenner's "haul" on Snapchat. As a company that prides itself to not be affiliated with many people, this shameful display of endorsement has upset me as well as many of your other, loyal buyers. Like I said, I've been buying from LUSH for 13 years, which would have made Kylie about 3 years old. I do not mean for any of my comments to come across as rude, I only hope to gain further understanding of a company I love and brag about to everyone around me. Many thanks. Saba

Miss Emellia

about 2 years ago

As one of the LUSH Employees, it really hits home how wonderful this company is at using its time and monetary funding / resources to construct something so positive for the future of our planet, and world. LUSH is proving time and time again that we can have beautiful products for bath, shower and beauty and not bulldoze through our natural ecosystem in order to do so! I firmly believe this company will not rest until it sees the equal treatment and consideration of all animals no matter what, and am proud to be a party to this. It doesn't end there, but the company is doing all the right things so far. Keep it up LUSH, and so will I! Xx

nikkicarter18

about 3 years ago

Could you please explain the reason as too why you have not applied for The Leaping Bunny if you claim you do not test on animals?? Tks..

PinkSmarties

about 1 year ago

They already have, its listed above.

Zara_uk

about 3 years ago

Just want to say I salute you for your stance against animal testing. I must say that after watching so many vids on animal testing and feeling deeply traumatized, your article brought me some much needed peace. I will be advertising your business as part of my campaign to raise more awareness on this topic. Thank you so much and wish you ongoing success in the future!

about 3 years ago

This is the only company that clearly outlines it's exact policy, how it works with suppliers and doesn't show any ambiguous text. So many companies are listed as cruelty free now because they say things like 'our finished products are not tested on animals', 'we only test on animals as a last resort' and 'we only test on animals where the law states we must'. All of those mean they test on animals somewhere along the line and they are the big household names that own the big name brands all over the house. It is so refreshing to not have to wait 3 weeks for an email response or search some small print to find Lush's open, upfront and honest policy when it comes to animal testing. Thanks you :)