Animal Testing: Our policy

Lush do not test on animals, do not use materials that contain animal derivatives that are unsuitable for vegetarians and only buy raw materials from companies that are not involved in the use of, or commission the use of, animals for testing and have no plans to do so in the future. We believe that animal testing is not acceptable. We recognise that customer safety is of importance but that this can be assured without the use of animals.

Whilst we recognise the unavoidable exception of REACH legislation (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & Restriction of Chemicals), Lush wishes to continue to encourage suppliers to test for safety using non-animal testing methods and to fund the development of non-animal test methods.

We have built Lush from day one using this policy – and we believe this shows that it is possible to invent, manufacture and bring to the market an entire range of products without any involvement in animal testing. Our founders launched this policy in June 1993, whilst still running their previous company, Cosmetics To Go. So when they started Lush in 1995, it began life using this policy and has stuck to it ever since.

Azumi

about 1 month ago

I am brand new to this site, and can at least note, that you have an enourmous amount of information about each of your ingredients. My only request would be that you consider clearly labelling all products that are 100% Vegan too. In addition to Dairy, Eggs and Lanolin being non-Vegan, of course, this would include Honey, Beeswax, etc. and all the chemical by products of such ingredients. But I do have to say I am very impressed at your transparency and have a learned a great deal from only joining this website today. Thank you for everything you are doing.

Azumi

about 1 month ago

I would also appreciate a response regarding dairy and egg and ALL animal by product ingredients. for instance, Lanolin derived from sheep wool I note that you are very clear that your products are 100% Vegetarian, but as a Vegan, I would greatly appreciate distinct labelling on all of your products defining whether they are Vegan or not, please. I have just watched one of your extremely informative videos regarding the problematic REACH legislation, and applaud the work you are doing against animal cruelty and testing. Well done. I hope to hear back from you. Many thanks.

elletravis94_6297706

Can you please elaborate on the 1st part? "We will not knowingly purchase ingredients from suppliers that have conducted, commissioned or been party to animal testing after our fixed cut-off date 1st June 2007 unless the supplier commits to no further animal test in the future and using for Lush acceptable in-vitro (refers to the technique of performing a given procedure in a controlled environment outside of a living organism) alternatives." Could you please advise what in vitro alternatives are used? Also can you please clarify if you are selling in China? Best, Ellé

Lush Customer Care

Staff

Hi, Thank you for getting in touch, I have added some links to articles that you might find informative. We do not sell our products in China.

laura.r.walker81_6484168

about 1 year ago

As someone who has worked in the personal care product supply chain for enormous brands from Avon to LMVH I really appreciate the level of detail which Lush has gone into here. Many big brands don't even declare the ingredients that are tested on animals and it would certainly be difficult for a consumer to decide whether the "cruelty free" product they were buying was indeed free from animal cruelty anywhere in the supply chain. I ended up leaving the chemical industry because I did not feel as though I could support a stance I felt was unethical and Lush certainly meets my criteria for what a company can be reasonably doing to make sure their products are as ethical as possible within the legislation. Another thing I think is very positive is the fact that Lush staff are really well briefed on this stance. I asked some Body Shop staff to clarify for me what their position on animal testing was now that they were owned by L'Oreal and they had no idea what I was talking about. Well done Lush, I'm confident that you will continue to go further and be open and honest with your customers.

eleanorimogenbradshaw_6068021

about 2 years ago

Okay so you claim to be against animal testing yet you are part of REACH? Doesn't make sense.....

lauramirezortiz_6408708

^^^

Amandarin

about 2 years ago

Against animal testing is what I've come to love and trust in the Lush brand. Ever since being a Cosmetics to Go customer in the early 90s. Please would you also consider "cruelty free" ingredients. Primarily, the use of eggs in your ingredients. The egg industry is known for its savage cruelty of young male chicks, as many exposés have revealed. Also, the labelling of eggs "free range" by no means renders them "cruelty free". In light of a sharp rise in veganism in the general populace in recent times, I would like to urge Lush to reconsider using eggs.

Azumi

about 1 month ago

I second this. Also dairy products.

about 2 years ago

Hi. First of all, I have been buying LUSH products for over 13 years, so I really do love your products!! I appreciate your efforts in only sourcing with manufacturers that do not carry out animal testing. My concerns are - a signed declaration is not enough, and though you say that you research the company, does LUSH conduct site visits / personal research on where the ingredients are being sourced? Further, what is LUSH's policy on sustainability and humanitarian / environmental impact? I recently emailed the LUSH customer service team asking about where the talc used in your products is sourced from, and how it affects the people living in those areas (to be specific, I was commenting on how some talc sourced in India adversely affects tiger populations). The team gave me some answers and I thanked them, though I believe the answer could have been more comprehensive by giving ways in which LUSH limits its impact on the world. Lastly, and as I'm sure you've seen on your Facebook page, I am shocked that you would advertise Kylie Jenner's "haul" on Snapchat. As a company that prides itself to not be affiliated with many people, this shameful display of endorsement has upset me as well as many of your other, loyal buyers. Like I said, I've been buying from LUSH for 13 years, which would have made Kylie about 3 years old. I do not mean for any of my comments to come across as rude, I only hope to gain further understanding of a company I love and brag about to everyone around me. Many thanks. Saba