Spend £45 for free UK standard delivery | Pay in three with Klarna learn more


FAQs: EEA nationals registration certificate

Freedom of movement is integral to Lush as a business, allowing us to put the right people in the right positions regardless of nationality and forge equal relationships with suppliers in remote areas of the world.​

1. I have been here for less than five years - what can I apply for to confirm my right to reside?

If you are in the UK in one of the ‘qualified person’ categories (worker, self-employed, self-sufficient, student, jobseeker), you can apply for a Home Office registration certificate which confirms you are a ‘qualified person’ and therefore confirms your right to reside in the UK.

2. Which application do I need to complete for a registration certificate?

Application EEA (QP) which can be downloaded from the Home Office website.

3. Can I add my family members to the application?

No, you cannot add dependents to that application. If your family member is a ‘qualified person’, they can apply in their own right by completing an EEA (QP) application in their name. If they do not qualify in their own right, they should use form EEA (FM) if they are your ‘direct family members’ (e.g. spouse and children) and form EEA (EFM) if they are your extended family members (e.g. unmarried partner or an uncle/aunt).

4. Where can I find the application?

You can download the application on the Home Office website.

5. How much does it cost to apply for a registration certificate?

The Home Office fee is £65 per applicant payable by credit/debit card, cheque or a postal order.

6. How long does it take for the application to be processed?

Applicants for a registration certificate can opt for a same day service at the Home Office premium service centre. Please note there is no premium service available for DCPR applications. For the same day service the application will be processed the very same day. For postal applications, the Home Office is under obligation to issue the certificate as soon as possible. Currently it takes on average three months for the certificate to be issued.

7. Do I need to send my passport to the Home Office?

As an EEA national you have a choice of sending to the Home Office your original ID card or your passport. If you require your original documents for travel, you can use a new EEA passport pass back service for a fee of £20 - the local register office will photocopy your passport and hand back the original document to you.

8. Can I travel whilst my application is pending?

Yes, an EEA national can travel whilst his or her application for a registration certificate is pending with the Home Office.

9. My application has been refused - what can I do?

You will be given a right of appeal. Depending on the reasons for refusal, you might be better off submitting a new application without going for an appeal.

10. How do I appeal the decision?

You need to complete an appeal form stating your grounds of appeal and submit it to the first-tier tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber). Current tribunal fees for a hearing with you attending on the day are £140.

11. Does the registration certificate expire?

There is no expiry date on the registration certificate, however, it confirms your right to reside at the time of the application. If your circumstances change, for instance you are no longer a qualified person, the certificate becomes invalid.

12. Do I need to have a registration certificate to apply for a document certifying permanent residence?

If you are an EEA national qualified person there is no legal requirement for you to possess the registration certificate to apply for the DCPR. Extended family members should hold a Home Office registration certificate (for EEA family members) or a residence card (for non-EEA family members) throughout the qualifying residence period to be eligible for permanent residence documentation.

Find out more from the EEA nationals flowchart.

Comments (0)