Spend £45 for free UK standard delivery | Pay in three with Klarna learn more


FAQs: Permanent residence for EEA nationals

Freedom of movement is integral to Lush as a business, allowing us to put the right people in the right positions regardless of nationality and forge equal relationships with suppliers in remote areas of the world.​

1. I have been in the UK for five years - do I qualify for permanent residence?

Simply being in the UK for five years is not enough to establish that you have a permanent right to reside. You need to complete five years of continuous residence in the UK as a ‘qualified’ person in one of the five categories: worker, self-employed, student, self-sufficient or jobseeker. You can mix and match the categories. Once you have completed your five years of continuous residence, you automatically acquire the permanent right to reside in the UK.

2. Which application do I need to complete for permanent residence?

To confirm that you have acquired your permanent right to reside in the UK you have to complete an application EEA (PR) which can be downloaded from the Home Office website.

3. Can I add my family members to the application?

Yes, if you and your family member have resided in the UK together throughout the five year period, you can add them to your application.  There is no need to provide evidence of your family member’s residence as a qualified person, they can qualify by simply cohabiting with you throughout the qualifying period.  

4. How much does it cost to apply for permanent residency?

The application fee is £65 per applicant and can be paid by providing your card details, cheque or a postal order.

5. How long does it take for the application to be processed?

The application processing times vary.  Usually, a straightforward application can be processed within 2 months. Currently, due to the Home Office receiving 5,000 applications per day, applications are processed within 6-8 months.

6. Do I need to send my passport into the Home Office?

As an EEA national you have a choice of sending your original ID Card or passport to the Home Office. If you require your original documents for travel, you can use a new EEA passport pass back service for a fee of £20 - the local register office will photocopy your passport and hand back the original documents to you.

7. Can I travel whilst my application is pending?

Yes, an EEA national can travel whilst his or her application for a document certifying permanent residence is pending with the Home Office.

8. My application has been refused - what can I do?

You will be given a right of appeal. Depending on the reasons for refusal, you might be better off submitting a new application without going for an appeal.

9. How do I appeal the decision?

You need to complete an appeal form stating your grounds of appeal and submit it to the first-tier tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber). Current tribunal fees for a hearing with you attending on the day are £140.

10. Does the document certifying permanent residence expire?

DCPR is for an indefinite period. However, if you leave the UK for more than two consecutive years, your document will expire.

11. Do I need to have DCPR to apply for British citizenship?

Yes, as of November 2015 it is mandatory for EEA nationals naturalising as British citizens to hold DCPD prior to lodging their application.

Find out more about how to stay in the UK, with the EEA nationals flowchart.

Comments (0)