The hunts are still at it

It has now been over 10 years since the Hunting Act was passed, but the hunts are still at it...

Since the Hunting Act was passed in 2004, more than 341 people have been convicted of illegal hunting, while many more have been deterred from chasing and killing foxes, hares, deer and mink with dogs for pleasure. Yet, this is only a small proportion of the illegal hunting still going on.

If MPs vote in favour of amending the Hunting Act on Wednesday 15th July, 2015 hunting as we knew it will become legal again. Act now.

What you have already supported

Four years after the Hunting Act came into effect, many police forces had few ideas and even fewer resources to make sure that the act was enforced. So, with a flagrant disregard for the law, the hunters continued.

Lush joined forces with the (Hunt Saboteurs Association (HSA) to raise awareness that the hunts were indeed still at it and to urge the police to make enforcing the hunting act a priority; if a law is not enforced, there is very little point in it existing.

The HSA were left to police the hunts by themselves by filming law-breaking and taking video evidence to the police. Whilst doing so they put themselves at considerable risk; conflict at hunt sites often meant footage being destroyed and equipment being broken or lost entirely.

In support of HSA, Lush staff dressed as foxes with tails and ears and shop windows proclaimed ‘The Hunts Are Still At It’. Inside, a citronella and peppermint scented bubble bar called ‘Fabulous Mrs Fox’ was sold to raise funds for the group and all of the proceeds - minus the vat from the sale of the bar - went to the HSA. The bubble bar was on sale in store until boxing day to coincide with the traditional large-scale hunting meets. Customers signed postcards to be sent to their local Police forces Chief Constables, asking them to make enforcing the law a priority.

It was an extremely controversial campaign and people who were pro-hunting entered Lush stores and ruined displays of leaflets and Fabulous Mrs Fox bubble bars. Shop windows were also targets for acts of vandalism and some store staff were even intimidated by pro-hunt supporters.

Undaunted the campaign ran its course and the sales of Fabulous Mrs Fox raised over £50,000 for the HSA.

Now, in 2015. It's time to take a stand again. It's up to the public to let MPs know that the general population does not stand for animal cruelty and will not see the barbarity of the past become legal once more.

If you believe that bloodsports are an atrocity, tell your MP why they need to protect The Hunting Act on Wednesday 15th July:

Spread the word and tell the world why the British public want to #KeepTheBan.

KeepingItWelsh_2

about 2 years ago

Great article! :)

davefish

about 2 years ago

I think fox hunting should be allowed but only kill it with a gun not the hounds foxes eat my livestock and it is a pain in the ass!!!!!

davefish

about 2 years ago

dave_21

about 2 years ago

HARRY WREN

davefish

about 2 years ago

hi im dave lush is wrong in my opioin vote ukip lol fox hunting for the win

Martin-1

about 3 years ago

I can’t believe what I’m reading! The pro-hunters have no moral-high ground to stand on whatsoever, and are in absolutely no position to pass any judgement about anyone’s behaviour! Pro fox hunting people are, and have been pro violence and cruelty for fun for many years with their so called ‘sport’. It seriously worries me that there are ‘sound minded’ people in our so called ‘civilised society’ that think that it’s acceptable and even fun to watch any animal be torn apart, tortured and killed – for fun / sport! This is sadistic and vile beyond description. What kind of violent people are these? What evil is in them? It worries me even more that we have such pro violence and cruelty people running the country… if we can’t treat animals well, what hope do we have for treating people well? Thank you Lush and the SABS teams for your hard work campaigning to bring this kind of violence to an end – you restore my faith in humanity. Keep up the good work x

Martin-1

about 3 years ago

rebecca.leeks

about 3 years ago

Megan Porter- Yes foxes have killed children before but so have dogs, in fact a lot more dogs have killed children/attacked people, yet we don't hunt or kill them for fun because they are seen as family pets. We do put them to sleep which is a much nicer death than foxes receive, so your point is completely invalid and stupid. Fox hunting is cruel and completely unnecessary.

zara_offical

rebecca.leeks-I agree with you

alirexrock

about 2 years ago

I can't find reference to ANY children being killed by foxes in the UK. There have been a couple of cases of urban foxes defending their young where people have been scratched or bitten.. I wouldn't call it attacking. It doesn't happen in the wild. We have encroached onto their territory by building homes where they lived but we also tend to throw a lot of food away that they can live off. I love seeing urban foxes. Of course dogs have maimed and killed people but I think that sadly it's mostly down to the owners. I've been a hunt saboteur since my teens. The most stupid thing is that the RSPCA are saying keep the ban but the patron of the RSPCA is the Queen and she and her family are very big on hunting. The royals love a fox hunt. I think Oscar Wilde got it right when he called fox hunters ''The unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable''. I just wondered where you got the information that foxes have killed babies. I only know of the two children who were scratched badly in East London but they weren't even sure it was a fox.