Naked shower gel? Don't you mean soap?

“Naked shower gel, whatever next!”

Don’t worry, we know exactly what you’re thinking...

“Naked shower gel… Isn’t that just soap?”

Nope, this isn’t a brand new industry buzzword. Naked shower gels work in exactly the same way as their liquid counterparts without the need for packaging.

At first glance they might look the same as some of the soaps you’ve grown to love over the years but naked shower gels don’t contain any soap base, they instead share most of the same ingredients as liquid shower gel and infact are double the concentrate so you get more bang for your buck!

“Why make it naked?”

You don’t have to be living a packaging free lifestyle to get into a cubicle with a naked shower gel. Creating a naked product not only saves on packaging, it also makes your shower gels more convenient to travel with. No liquid allowances to worry about and less wasted product down your plug hole.

In 2016, we sold over 5 million bottles of shower gel, if just half of the customers who purchased these bottles switched to naked shower gels, we could save approximately 2.6 million bottles from ending up in landfill. That's something worth getting naked for.

“Still sounds like soap to me, what ingredients make it different?”

Soap can be made using a variety of different ingredients as a soap base. You’ll find a mixture of rapeseed and coconut oil in the majority of Lush soaps as well as argan oil and olive oil in the gourmet soap range.

Naked shower gels aren’t made using a soap base, in fact they contain most of the same ingredients as their packaged versions with only a few ingredients that are different.

The ingredient that makes them solid is sodium stearate. We use this ingredient in our naked deodorants as well and it thickens and helps harden the mix, eliminating the need for packaging. Propylene glycol has also been added to the naked shower gel formula, a humectant that will help to attract and retain moisture in the skin. It also reduces bacteria growth and has been added to make the naked shower gels self-preserving.

“Is it going to work the same as my regular shower gel?”

You bet! Naked shower gels give you the same powerful fragrance and lathering experience that you’re used to from your packaged products.

They ae double the concentrate of liquid shower gels and therefore last twice as long, making them more economical but there’s no bottle to deal with. So you can wave goodbye to unnecessary shower fumbling and no longer have to look on in horror as you accidentally squeeze too much of your favourite shower gel down the drain.

Once you've lathered up and are feeling clean and refreshed, simply pop it on the side to dry out and use next time.

“If these naked shower gels are so great, why are there still packaged ones?”

We are firm believers in being able to offer our customers a choice and letting them pick the product that best suits and benefits them. Having naked shower gels complimenting the range of packaged versions available means that you can make a choice over which type works best for you.

So whether you’re taking a trip around the word and want something you can throw in your in-flight bag or you want to try something new to spice up your routine, the choice to go naked has never been easier.

paddymatsvayi_6630789

about 4 days ago

Hello Lush! We would just like to raise some concerns regarding your new naked "shower gel". Unfortunately, collectively as a group we have found some serious faults surrounding your new product. Stayed tuned for our next comment where we will go into serious depth about these tragic faults. :D x

BathPanda

about 1 week ago

I absolutely adore my naked shower gels!! I really need another naked Happy Happy Joy Joy conditioner so could you please bring these out to the regular line? More naked shower gels and more naked body conditioners too please!!!!!

twireman040667_5814316

about 1 week ago

Losing the kitchen was bad enough but don’t like the naked just not the same...so sad was an excited everyday kitchen ordered and used to be excited about collections now meh

about 2 weeks ago

Please can we have the choice between buying naked shower gel or liquid in a bottle? I will not be buying the naked versions as they will be difficult to store in my bathroom. You could extend the black pot scheme to cover shower gel bottles or create a variant or even have a returnable deposit on the bottles. I recycle all my shower gel bottles and bring the lids back with my black pots.

maiara_mty_6603226

about 2 weeks ago

This is really funny, if it is the idea you make of a joke. I guess that when you guys said that the costumers would have a choice, it would be either to buy the naked version or leave empty handed, since the option of buying the liquid version is not available. You are only offering the naked version for valentine's day and, again, for mother's day, no liquid version to be found. this is straigthforward lying to the costumers, Lush. I hope the sales drop in time for you to make up your minds and offer a liquid version for easter.

katijjane

about 1 month ago

I absolutely love my naked shower gel! It lathers just as much as a liquid shower gel, smells amazing and easier to use. I've used it 4 times now and there's no difference in it's size so I can see it lasting much longer than a liquid shower gel too. And of course no plastic!! People complaining about where to put them etc need to see the bigger picture - no plastic.

Chriggle

about 1 month ago

Having tried both the liquid and solid versions of Twilight, I felt I had to share my thoughts. I'm disabled, and tend to drop things. During my shower I dropped the naked bar 3 times. It's not easy to pick it up once it's wet and slimy. I suspect I would fall if it fell behind me and I trod on it too. I am not very steady on my feet at the best of times and dislike bar style goods for this reason. It doesn't lather up as easily as it's liquid counterpart, so I'm not convinced of the claim it will last longer. I tried to get it onto a flannel and onto a shower lily. The flannel needed so much to get a good lather that it stains the flannel. I have already lost a sponge thanks to a twilight bath bomb staining it. On the subject of choice, I asked a member of staff in my local store, who confirmed that liquid shower gels are to ultimately be phased out. That's not exactly giving us the consumers a choice. Like others have said, a refill service would be a good addition to your product lines. If perfume manufacturers/retailers can offer this service, (Thierry Mugleir's Angel perfume can be bought in refillable bottles and refills are available at Boots) then I'm sure you can. Coffee shops offer customers incentives for bringing in their own cups, so perhaps a system like this it a possibility. I can't imaging myself traveling with a naked shower gel either. I store it in a soap box, but they aren't as space saving when packing for an overnight or weekend stop. I am intrigued to see how well it behaves when cut. Sorry Lush, but I am not a fan. Liquid is far easier to use and far more convenient for travel.

Lush Customer Care

about 1 month ago

Staff

Hi Chriggle! Here at Lush we are all about choice. I am pleased to inform you, that nothing has been confirmed officially to say that we are discontinuing liquid shower gels.

shortstuff

about 1 month ago

Sorry i used a lot and I give them ago and not for us they are wasteful and also expensive small ones get 2-3 washes there not a gel it’s definitely a soap but expensive and not all about eco it’s also about money saving for lush and profit but when these come out you said would be a choice but that not the case in some Cases and feel your customers now being push to by them sorry it not for me as well As meany other people and I will Explain why .1 they don’t last as long 2 there are not very hygienic 3 they melt away fast half size after using it ones 4 bits come off and go down the drain 5 the smell goes fast 6 cant just pop it on the side as it leaves a mess so as to be put in a tub with lid off 7 it goes all gross after 3 washes even in a tub with lid of so can dry out still gross 8 every soap I used is the same so it’s a soap to me 9 very hard for people with disabilities like my self with ms I can’t use It on a bad day it’s to hard ... Sorry lush so meany things I love about lush but these I can’t get on with if I not used 5 and all been the same problem I wouldn’t of comment but I feel it’s a soap and just very expensive not just is it eco but also more profit for your self from Christmas being round £10 you now jumped to £14:50 seems a lot I get more out of a 100ml bottle then £14:50 expensive bar or soap not a gel . You now stopped the 100ml gels also not giving the choice for some . Each to there own some like it some don’t how it is but seem More don’t naked shower gels then them who do . The refill bottles are a good idea but still would need more shops . Like I say love lush and we did the swap every we buy now is from lush back 5 years ago but due to some choices and also the prices keep increasing past 2 years it’s making it hard for me and my family to keep buying every month and also when come To produces like this that are wasteful and no good for us can’t share a naked shower gel like can a bottle we now looking at alternatives unfortunately due to prices as keep increasing as well . Please listen to your costumes and give us the choice that you said you would I hate moaning about something when come to lush but past year all I see is more unhappy customers then happy ones

about 1 month ago

I bought the naked snow fairy back in October and I still have a couple of weeks worth left :-) Granted I don't have the issue of sharing as other people have commented as it is only me who uses this product but I just lather the soap up on my sponge and it does the job, I'm definitely a fan and will continue to purchase the naked products as and when required.